Account Management Best Practice
Proven techniques and skills for managing and growing existing customers.
One day training course
This is not just a training course but a complete program on how to best manage and develop existing accounts. It is specifically designed for quick, consistent, easy and effective account development.
Who will benefit
Account managers, account support and technical team members; senior managers and executives.
- Sell more to existing accounts, increased customer retention and improved customer satisfaction.
- Manage service issues more effectively, through delegation and managing expectations.
- Create a simple but effective account management dashboard, relationship matrix and opportunity roadmap for each key account.
- Developing a ‘best practice’ approach to account management using the tools above.
- Providing more consistency and structure in developing and growing business from both existing accounts and new potential customers.
- Improving the ability to sell additional services proactively – up-selling and cross-selling.
- Better co-ordination and growth of international accounts and opportunities.
- Using the PROFIT account plan and methodology to update and inform others and plan strategy
- Skills and methods to use when managing and developing both existing customer and target accounts.
- Building on current best practice and integration with existing CRM tools.
Notes: Participants will be asked to bring with them details of three ‘significant’ accounts. Exercises, planning sessions and role-plays will then be constructed and focused on these real-life examples during the course.
Account Development Best Practice – Outline
- Review of personal objectives and target accounts, plus pre-course work
- Course objectives
- Best practice account management
Performance – how and what measure
- Introduction to the PROFIT account management model
- Practical account development strategies: overview and case studies
- Using practical tools to help you manage and measure account performance and success, including profitability and key performance metrics
- Prioritising and managing accounts and customers pro-actively
- How to build and manage key relationships within an account
- Qualifying and managing key influencers accurately
- Producing a ‘relationship matrix’ for each account quickly and easily
- How best to approaching and developing new contacts
- Developing a coach or advocate in every client site pro-actively
Objectives and goals: Opportunities
- Developing a cross-selling strategy to integrate solutions and products into the customer’s business as closely as possible
- Knowing how to set, monitor and track key objectives for accounts over the short, medium and long term
- Understanding the concept of long-term customer value and the importance of adapting a customer-focused attitude
- Setting jointly agreed goals, objectives and business plans, and tracking their successful implementation
Feedback and Retention – building loyal and satisfied customers
- How to monitor and track your customer’s perception and satisfaction with your organisation, products and services
- Building a personalised satisfaction matrix for each account
- Customer review meetings: best practice in building loyalty by regular joint planning events
- Spotting and reacting to early warning signals that may cause an account’s loyalty to fade, reduce revenue or cause a customer to change system usage
- Developing a loyalty strategy for key accounts or groups of smaller accounts
- How to integrate your business style and solutions with the customer’s business needs and processes
- Getting your message and strategy across to C-level contacts
- Being able to better anticipate, identify, create, and develop business opportunities within an account.
- Knowing your personalised value message: Differentiating your solutions clearly and accurately with customer/client-matched value statements.
Teamwork and time management
- Working with others inside your organisation to achieve your account goals
- Managing and working with a virtual team
- Creating cross-departmental communication loops
- Managing your time and accounts effectively
- Putting it all together
- Personal account reviews, personal learning summary and action plans